Sunday 2 February 2014

Basketball Dreams

By today's standards, I found basketball relatively late in life.  While most kids today are groomed for sports by the age of five, I was 12 before I stepped on to the court.  And it wasn't my parents researching leagues or scouting teams.  I played for my school.  Remember those days?  When kids could have no experience and still make a school team?
But I digress.
Basketball.  I cannot begin to describe how it feels to stand on the court and shoot.  The visualization, the focus, the sound of the ball sailing through the net.  I love every second.  In fact, I could stand and practice shooting for hours.  For so many years, it was my go-to when I needed a little zen.  In recent years, I joined a woman's league hoping to find a little of the joy I used to feel on the court.  I realized two things.  Firstly, I am an over the top competitive person who is unable to tone it down to play in a rec league with people older than I.  I tried.  I truly did.  But then I got annoyed that the person dribbling in front of me was so casually bouncing the ball and I put a stop to it.  And may have bumped her a bit in the process.  There was a lot of apologizing.  Which I knew was the right thing to do but somehow felt fundamentally wrong.  Secondly, I am an over the top competitive person who is unable to tone it down to play in a rec league.  I couldn't let a rebound go by.  I couldn't not take the shot (although truthfully I did try very hard to pass the ball even when I had an open lane to drive right to the basket) when it was there.  I couldn't ease up on defence.  And that lead to a distinct burning pain in my shoulder; one that wouldn't go away with ice, advil, or massage.
Sadly I have not played a game of basketball in two years but luckily one of my DDs has decided to play and if I play my cards right (i.e., keep my mouth shut and remember that it is her game to play, not mine) I will be able to spend many years watching her on the court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment