Friday 31 January 2014

Sing yourself Happy

I love music.  The power it holds to change a mood, change perspectives, and sometimes change a little piece of who you are.  If I were to choose a super power, it would be to be able to sing like Christina Aguilara (okay, I love her voice but have no idea how to spell her last name).  Man, that woman has some pipes.  While I don't necessarily listen to her music, I do admire the voice.
In fact, one of the best times I have had in recent memory was at a karaoke party we held for some friends visiting from Wisconsin.  So. Much. Fun.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, belted out a tune or two and before you know it, it was 2am.  I ask you, how can you be unhappy when there are so many good songs to boost your spirits?  Below are 10 of my favourites:

1.  These are the Days by 10,000 maniacs
--Natalie Merchant's voice.  That is all I need to say about this.

2.  Give a Little Bit by Supertramp
--forget the train wreck Goo Goo Dolls version.  It is abhorrent.

3.  Peaceful Easy Feeling by the Eagles
--turned this lovely into a lullabye for my kids; so much more fun to sing than twinkle twinkle little star

4.  Where the Streets have no Name by U2
--guitar riff.  And the video.  And Bono.  Everytime I hear this song I think about the summer I was 16 years old and going to this concert by bus with some very sketchy people.

5.  Unwritten by Natasha Beddinfield (oh my...I have completely forgotten her last name!)
--probably one of the few newer songs that have made the list.  This song just makes me want to dance.  And that, my friends, is not a pretty sight.

6.  Rain in the Summertime by the Alarm
--one of the more commercial songs from them that I love but what can I say?  Belt it out with me...."I love to feel the rain in the summertime....oh, I love to feel the rain on my face". 

7.  Home for a Rest by Spirit of the West
--dancing like a crazy person.  That is what this song inspires.  And shamefully, my kids knew the lyrics to this song at waayyy too young an age--oops.

8.  Three Little Birds by Bob Marley
--every happy day should include a little Bob.  Seriously.

9.  Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel
--love Peter.  So much talent.  This song reminds me of first year exams so many years ago....not sure why but this became the anthem for my roomie and I. 

10.  Sweet Baby James by James Taylor
--so hard to choose just one song by James Taylor.  And I know that dates me for sure but listening to James and his guitar is one of my favourite things to do on a Sunday afternoon.

I think I could list songs for the entire month of February but don't worry, I won't force my play list on anyone past today.  Let me know what your favourites are......





3 comments:

  1. Build Me Up Buttercup - old but classic
    So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys
    Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies
    Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
    Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
    Ways to Go - Grouplove
    The Joker - Steve Miller Band

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember dancing to Build Me Up Buttercup at your wedding! I love your eclectic mix, jen.

      Delete
  2. Great list. You could do this on FB and tag people like books!

    ReplyDelete