Monday 20 January 2014

Chlorine is my family's signature scent

I've had several people ask me lately why I have my kids in swimming.  They wonder why we (DH and I) endure early morning drives to the pool, after work drives to the pool (and sometimes both on the same day), full weekends of either working the deck at swim meets or sitting in the bleachers.  And truthfully, I find these questions understandable but also irritating.  Firstly, I am not the one doing the swimming so what is to be endured? If my DDs are willing to swim at 5:30 am, surely I can drive them there. If my kids are willing to push themselves to enter and race at swim meets, surely I can hold a stop watch to time them or, at worst, sit like a lump on the bleachers to cheer them on.  Admittedly, there are other things I can be doing but there will be many years for that.  My DDs are not swim stars but they are learning about dedication, commitment, and drive.  At the meet this past weekend, DD #2 approached the lane where I was timing to show me that she'd written the national qualifying time on her arm for an event that she hadn't yet made a regional time in.  To motivate her.  Those kind of dreams in a preteen girl are worth every hour spent in the car, on the pool deck, and in the bleachers.  What's a little sleep in comparison?

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, Gill! My sons are in hockey and my daughter is in dance, and I think it has taught them hard work and team work. They are kept extremely active, and they've had some great opportunities come out of it. I'd rather be busy than bored. (There is no chance of me ever being bored. It might be nice if there was a tiny chance, but it's working out so far.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you jen. I don't do "bored" well although some days a solid hour at home before 8pm would be nice :)

      Delete
  2. We'll said! And look at you fitting in blogging too!!! So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. giving it my best shot anyway....it's a good outlet

      Delete
  3. I love the positive view you can take on everything; it's a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks heather. the older I get, the more I realize that being a glass half full kind of person is essential to my happiness. I love your blog btw!

      Delete