Thursday 2 January 2014

New Year's Evolution

Here I am again.  Not exactly a new year's resolution because, frankly, I am not a fan of those.  But perhaps a new year's evolution.  In the past few days there have I have seen many Facebook posts describing "life plans", "goal lists", or their "word of the year".  While I think these are all good things, if pressed I would have no idea what framework to give my upcoming year.  Sure, there are things I want out of life.  But to quantify and measure? I am not sure I can even begin to do this.
This morning I began the day as I usually do, with strong coffee and a flip through social media.  For the past few months now, I have been following a 15 year old girl and her recovery post lung transplant.  I was drawn to the page by a friend, who knows the family, and have been mesmerized by this young woman's strength, determination, and willingness to embrace life as it is.  Today I was stunned to read that she had died late last night, in the blink of an eye, from an aggressive strep infection.  As the news slammed into me, my instinct was to run upstairs and hug my children but since it isn't yet 9am we all know how that would end.  So instead, I have been brought me back to this blog.  And to reflecting on how to dedicate the next year of my life.  My thoughts are simple; I am going to love more.  Really love.  The kind that involves stopping my craziness and just listening, truly listening to those I love.  And maybe those I don't care for as much, too.  I am going to invest less in the everyday drama and focus more on the goodness.  And try as hard as I can to remain calm and sane in the face of chaos.  I won't give it a word, incorporate it into a plan, or add it to a list.  I am just going to do. 

2 comments: