Saturday 11 January 2014

Rubber Chickens

I work with all sorts of people; some young, some in mid-life, but many are seniors.  After 11 years working with school-aged kids, I wasn't sure how I would enjoy working with the 65 + crowd again but truth is, I love it.  Those who have been around the block a time or two can really teach us how to live today, if we are wise enough to listen.  This week, I had a home visit at a retirement residence, the kind where you have a studio type room (bed, tv, desk all in one space), your own bathroom, and a dining room/rec area for everyone.  The woman I was there to see was a recent addition to the home and although adapting slowly, is not particularly pleased to be there.  As we discussed her therapy needs and her Christmas holidays, she mentioned something in passing about Rubber Chickens.  When I stopped with my agenda and listened to hers, she was keen to tell me about her first visit to the facility where she witnessed a game of Rubber Chicken toss.  Which, I am sorry to say, is just as it sounds.  Residents are given 6 Rubber Chickens and try to toss them into a bucket.  My companion told me that, at that time, she was just there for respite and so laughed at the absurdity of the game.  Three months later, and now a full time resident, she reports that she attended the Rubber Chicken toss game a few days back.  Without missing a beat, she leans to me and says, "Imagine that. That my life has come to the point where I am throwing Rubber Chickens into a bucket.  And people are excited and clapping for me.  Just imagine".  A learned, well-spoken, and undoubtedly classy lady standing with Rubber Chickens.  My heart dropped at the mental picture of it all.  But there was something to take away from this.  The Rubber Chickens may come for us all.  Really and truly.  And to me, they symbolize our ability to adapt and adjust to a new reality and to just let go of all that has come before.  I am not sure I want to think about my Golden years as a process of letting go of oneself, piece by piece, so that tossing Rubber Chickens seems like fun.  Clearly I, at 42, do not have the answer but you can bet I will be picking the brains of those who have gone before.  And I will remember the Rubber Chickens when I consider choices for my future.  I truly will.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. This both troubled me...please god no...and inspired me...gonna make those golden years golden. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete