Monday 18 March 2013

Happiness in the Sunny South

I have just returned from a family vacation in southern Florida.  And I have come to realize a few things:

I have a love-hate relationship with Canada.  While I love our way of life, our healthcare, our people, and our unique (and sometimes odd) customs, I really do hate winter.  All things winter in fact.  Don't try and sell me on outdoor sports when the thermometer is below 0C because I just don't buy it.  I feel like it's some big conspiracy where everyone is trying to pretend they are having fun so we can endure (there, I said it.  endure not enjoy) the winter with a brave face.  I say enough already.  Snow--no thanks.  Sleet--seriously?  be a real weather event.  and don't be so wishy-washy.  are you snow or are you rain?  Ice--we've now banned bouncy castles because they are dangerous but we are good with games played on slippery, frozen surfaces?
I love the sun.  It's bad for me.  I get it.  I've had skin cancer cut out of my neck and should be smarter (and I now use sunscreen and not baby oil so there is some learning happening).  But truly, there is nothing I enjoy more then the feel of hot sun on my skin.  In fact, I need this feeling at least once in the six months that we are experiencing pre-winter, winter, and never-ending winter.

With this in mind, my goal is to own a piece of the sunny south.  This is my retirement, no, pre-retirement plan and it feels good to have a goal to escape winter once and for all.  Just don't call me a snow bird.  Sun seeker is more my style.   

No comments:

Post a Comment