Friday 23 December 2011

acceptance

How to explain the way of the world to a 10 year old girl intent on doing her own thing?  That is the question of the day around here.  While I appreciate that she's spunky and has her own "look", unfortunately that look is driving me crazy--hair pulled back, unbrushed, into a knotted pony tail with the occasional slick back with water.  Seriously?  I would rather look at purple hair, a nose ring, or inside out clothing than watch her walk around looking like she just rolled out of bed (or out of a bin of hair gel).  Raising the issue delicately (which, admittedly is not my forte) does not register and as I get more insisting, she becomes more resisting (I forsee nothing good when the teen years come along).  I am not sure why I care so much.  That's not entirely true.  Girls are mean and I can well imagine what will be said about her today and I am frustrated that she's setting herself up for a huge serving of nasty.  She has told me the problem lies with me (having a logical, perceptive child is all kinds of frustrating) and I know she's right but oh man, isn't life hard enough without giving people a reason to mock you?
So, off she goes.  Dressed in her pajamas (have I mentioned it is NOT pajama day?), bathrobe (a compromise from the fuzzy blanket cape she intended to wear), and a big old Santa hat (at least maybe people will assume the hair comes from hat head??).  And as I watch her with my fingers crossed for a good day, I must concede that I love this crazy girl who is intent on teaching me a lesson in tolerance, patience, and acceptance.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you write!

    So hard to let them be them when that risks their being teased or hurt -- but you're right, there is a lesson to be learned there. Maybe we grownups should be wearing santa hats more often!

    ReplyDelete