Saturday 31 December 2011

Joy

Christmas dinners are now officially done and time to turn my brain towards the start of a new year.  So many wonderful things happened this year:  we got our new family member, dd2 found her "place", dd1 had some success in the pool, dh found a job that makes him happy, and although i can't think of something monumental for me, i did get to enjoy all of the above and be pleased for the ones i love.

These last few days of 2011 have been difficult in the sense that there is so much attention focussed on shopping, buying, and having stuff.  It's a full on assault really.  Is it worse than in previous years?  I can't say for certain but what I do know is my desire to be a part of it has never been smaller.  As I wandered through the mall with some Christmas money in my hand, I realized that none of this was bringing me any joy and, in fact, was making me decidedly unhappy.  Now I can't tell you why that is (believe me, i enjoy spending money as much as the next gal) but let's just say that my Christmas money ended up in a much better place, spent in a way that did give me some joy.  As 2011 winds down, I am certain of very few things in life save these:  my family comes first, no exceptions; everyday I have with my parents is a gift; my girl friends are a treasure like no other; and that life is a truly beautiful thing when one can tune out the background noise.

Here's hoping that as you head in to 2012 that you hold firm to your own certainties and enjoy what truly brings you joy.

1 comment:

  1. Your monumental thing...(besides facilitating all things for your family) is your determination to handle Plan B...and your willingness to share your journey with others via your blog. I love it. Love you too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete