Sunday 25 December 2011

Merry Christmas Part 2: Can we return to Christmas Past?

This morning was the day I'd been dreading for some time.  After staying up well past midnight, DH and I were completely unsuspecting that a certain determined DD#2 was still awake and saw us lay the stocking down by her door.  That would explain her lack of enthusiasm in the morning.  When asked why she was so glum, she replied "I saw you and daddy with my stocking" which I mistakenly took to mean that she knew we were Santa.  Mistake.  Huge mistake.  When I later told her how I'd hoped she'd like a certain Santa present, the world almost seemed to stop for a moment and then the wailing began.  And I do mean wailing.  And crying.  And accusing.  So much for our "It's a wonderful life" kinda moment.  And there was no buying of the "Santa is the spirit of Christmas" line.  She felt out and out hurt, betrayed, and very very sad.  Even despite some pretty good presents.  How to manage this plan b style?  I am at a loss however, a good friend gave me a mug which I am using as I type this.  It says "Embrace the Moment" and indeed, I will just keep my mouth shut and give that a try.

1 comment:

  1. That's hard, Gill! I remember that my brother was absolutely devastated when he found out about Santa. He yelled, 'Never trust your parents!' I guess it's just personality. I don't remember it bothering me at all; it seemed to me to explain one more mystery. Go with your mug motto. Another favourite I say to myself all the time: 'This too shall pass.'

    ReplyDelete