Saturday 14 January 2012

Grown ups Behaving Badly

Spent the day (four hours of it anyway) volunteering in the canteen at the swim club's "Under 12 Celebration" swim meet.  This is a wonderful meet for all the younger swimmers where each child gets a plaque at the end with engraved plates of their races and best times to affix to it.  Usually so much fun.  This year DD2 is too old to swim in this meet but DH and I both have a few (22 but who is counting really?) credits to earn before the end of the swim season and so, we were both at the pool this afternoon.  And to be clear, each four hour stint of volunteer time earns one credit.  You can do the math to see just how much of a "family" sport swimming becomes.  Usually I do not mind (so much) as we've made some pretty good friends there and the parents of the competitors are generally good folk.
It must've been the day after Friday the 13th that brought the crazies to the pool today.  And come in droves they did.  With their attitudes.  With their lying.  With their all around childish behaviour.
Now I would just like to say that when someone buys a psych sheet (schedule of the races, heats, and lanes that your child will swim in--pretty much essential to knowing what the heck is going on since they mostly look when you can only see their heads) only to return 30 mins later saying "i don't need this anymore, my child isn't in it",  I pretty much know they are selling me a bill of goods.  That's just about enough time to scour the booklet and record all the relevant information.  After the third person attempted this I started to get a little testy.  Is $7 really a life or death situation?  But they were only the tip of the titanic sized ice burg to come.  The canteen, where we sell food for the swimmers and their supporters, is generally set up along the rail so that we can see people coming and going and, if we are lucky, see our child swim.  There were a few parents who were upset that we were "using up the good spot by the rail" for our canteen.  So be it.  Get to the swim meet early and get a good spot next time.  However, there was one woman who was not to be deterred and decided she would stand in our canteen.  Near the money boxes and generally, in our way.  Plus, it irritated me that she felt she could do as she wished.  When asked to move, she became immediately irate and abusive (classy) dropping a few f-bombs (even classier at an under 12 celebration right?) and finally shoved a table in to me.  Seriously.
Those of you who know me well probably have a mental picture right now of how the rest of the story went down but you would be wrong.  I know, can you believe it?  I kept my mouth shut (really and truly I did-- and that was no easy feat I'll tell you) and ignored her tantrum.  I know!!!  It just about killed me (really and truly it did).
God bless the swim friends in the kitchen who got to listen to my venting about it and thank goodness I played soccer today and had a chance to kick something hard.  It does wonders for the soul.  But that is a post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! We call that assault with a weapon. Although she would only get probation (assuming this is her first criminal offence)...perhaps some court ordered "volunteer" community service hours would do her good! good grief people - what kind of example are you setting for your children??? You - Gill - set a great example - not only for your kids but for all who saw what was going on...WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your perspective made me smile j. where were you when i needed you?? thanks for your encouragement--so hard to take one for the team sometimes,

    ReplyDelete