Sunday 22 April 2012

Classical Comedy

Earlier this week, we headed off to the Kalahari in Sandusky Ohio for an overnight bit of fun.  On the journey there, we were exploring some of the new options on our new car, including satellite radio.  I swear I feel undereducated to operate this system.  And no longer does it come with a manual; there is a DVD to watch to learn all the ins and outs of things.  Who has time to sit on the couch and watch a dvd on your car?  Whatever happened to a good old manual that you could open anywhere and find out anything you needed to know about your car?  I realize I am old (from a technological standpoint my age is about 80) but I am all for advances that make things easier--this does not fall into that category.  No matter.  I have children and they are apparently born with an intuitive knowledge of these things.  DDs discovered all sorts of interesting things about the stereo/dvd system on the car, including that they could listen to satellite radio through their headphones and weren't obliged to indulge their parents' love of 80s on 8 and 90s on 9 (they didn't appreciate our heartfelt rendition of Take These Broken Wings, not one bit).  I must admit, it brought me great pleasure to watch them car dancing to One Direction in the back seat (especially since I didn't have to hear the music!) and seeing them enjoying being together.  At one point, they were laughing hysterically.  And I truly mean hysterically.  I thought they must have found a comedy channel.  DD1 exclaimed, "you have GOT to listen to this, it is SO FUNNY!" and so, taking the headphones from her, I braced for something that was in fact, funny.  In my ears exploded the William Tell Overture.  Seriously.  Not even some Warner Bros Bugs Bunny version--now that would at least warrant a laugh or two.  Nope.  Just the plain old orchestration.  I returned the headphones and the girls continued to laugh until they couldn't breathe.  For a brief moment, DH and I questioned whether we are somehow depriving our girls of a well-rounded music experience.  And then the Red Hot Chili Peppers took it away and the car karaoke was back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment