Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Happiest Gal on the Block

The happiest person I know is someone, in fact, that I don't know.  I don't know her name or what makes her so happy but she never fails to make me consider how I could be that sort of person.  Let me back up and say, this woman is a crossing guard in the small city of Ingersoll.  I see her about once a week, as I drive by her and up the hill toward the school.  I've never spoken to her and only, truthfully, made eye contact with her to make sure that she isn't going to stop me from turning.  However, there she is with a big friendly (and genuine) smile and a wave for me.  Every time.  No matter what the weather and no matter what time of day, this woman treats me like an old friend as I drive by her.
And, believe it or not, I carry this smile with me all day long.  And sometimes I think about her on days I am not in Ingersoll too.  She is really an amazing example of how we can influence someone's life through things we don't even think about.   I must admit, I am not so good at this.  Certainly not this weekend as I had a near what-do-you-mean-there-are-no-coffee-shops-open-before-7AM meltdown in Newmarket.  How can you LIVE in a place with no access to coffee at the very hours one requires coffee??  As I roared out of the Starbucks parking lot (with an air of something between complete disdain and desperation), I caught the eye of a forlorn police officer trying the locked door.  Sad days when one of the city's finest can't even get a cup of joe.  But I digress.

I love that this woman makes me consider what kind of face I am showing to the world.  I love that she makes me feel happy and frankly, good about myself just by the simplest of gestures.  Oh the power this crossing guard wields.  I just love it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I love how you put it...consider what kind of face I am showing to the world. Love that. Good advice. You should take her a coffee and a copy of this post and just say thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete