Friday 4 January 2013

Genius Bar Blues

My last full day of Christmas Break laid out before me--I had intentions of reading by the fireplace, walking the dog with DD2, cleaning up Christmas, and getting some groceries.  Leisurely and lazy.  That's my ideal day.  But first, I had a small 10 minute appointment to get through.  A trip to the Genius Bar to have a look at the calendar on my phone, which had been mysteriously disappearing and reappearing in different incarnations since I (stupidly) updated the software just before Christmas.  It's a calendar.  How complicated can it be really?  Clearly too complicated for me but hey, that's not saying much at all.  Three and a half hours later I returned.  Disgruntled.  And no further ahead in my problem.  And the best part?  The proffered solution was to call Apple on the phone.  So, I could've been in my pyjamas and multitasking away my morning instead of hanging out at the bar with a bunch of twenty some-things who think it is a crime to have to handwrite notes in class  (more on that another time) or have just decided after a year of having the phone that not being able to use the vibrate setting is a deal breaker?
So I head back home and I call Apple.  And several hours later we come to the solution--a new phone.  Arg.  A whole beautiful day wasted to come to the conclusion my 14 year old came to in 5 mins, "you need a new phone mom".  Genius indeed.

1 comment: