Saturday 17 September 2011

Four Legs and Fur (lots and lots of fur)

As I've already admitted, I love change in all its shapes, sizes, and forms.  This year, change is coming to our family on four legs.  After much consideration, we've decided to get a Bernese Mountain Dog.  I know what you may be thinking.  In fact, I've heard most of it already.  I've never had a dog.  Do I know what I'm getting into?  What about my furniture?  All of these questions, and many more, have raced through my mind over the past months and weeks.  Yes, I've never had a dog but I hadn't had kids before either and that seemed to work out okay (well, so far anyways).  No, I don't really know what I'm getting into but then again, who ever does (and if we did, would we ever really do anything?)?  And as for furniture....well, that one does concern me a bit but I don't really intend to let a 100 pound dog lounge on my sofa.  

This is the year I have decided to let people outweigh the "stuff" in my life; to focus on my family more and on "things" less.  The dog is just a small step (okay, maybe a large step) in this direction.  I have been told that I'm not a "dog person" although quite frankly I am not sure what that means.  It's true, I don't have an "I love my dog" bumper sticker on my car nor do dogs adorn my sweatshirts but I am pretty sure I have a good handle on the care, desire, and love needed to bring a dog successfully into my family.  



Today we met the breeder and her four wonderful dogs.  There are actually four dogs in this picture but one you can't see because it's laying across DD2 and resting her head on DD1's feet.  I am sure there will be many "Plan B" moments in this particular life change however, I am looking forward to the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Your kids are old enough to help with a dog now, which will help. It can be a family affair! Can't wait to see a picture of the one you pick.

    ReplyDelete