Wednesday 21 September 2011

Measuring One Day

My latest ear worm comes from the musical Rent.  Several years ago (almost 20 I think)  I saw this musical in Toronto.  At the time, I was working in a downtown Toronto hospital and spent much of my time working with people living with HIV/AIDS.  This musical spoke to me then and, for many different reasons, continues to speak to me today.  

This morning the glut of the week's work nonsense, home responsibilities, and dreary weather came to rest on my shoulders from almost the minute I rose from bed.  As I wearily prepared my cup of coffee, Seasons of Love popped into my head.  For those of you who are familiar with this song, you'll already know the line from the lyrics that I am talking about.  Now I have no intention of measuring my life in cups of coffee but I truly did need a mind shift this morning.  I went to You Tube and soon the song was filling the kitchen again and again (which explains why it's become an ear worm today).  Turns out DD2 needed a mind shift too and soon we were singing along, sans musical accompaniment (which incidentally did not shift DD1's mood to the positive).  

Have a listen (I'll post a link in the blog to follow this one) and consider how you want today to be measured....
...3 cups of coffee
...110 kilometers driven
...8 hugs received
...6 "i love you"s given
...2 moments where i chose not to say something unproductive (i know, can you believe it??)
...4 opportunities taken to make things better for someone else
that's mine so far.  what would yours look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment